Mopane worms are a critical source of proteins for millions of Southern African nations, A Zimbabwean nutritionist, Marlon Chidemo, says the worms are high in healthy nutrients and contain three times the amount of protein as beef. The worms are cultivated when they eat the leaves of the Mopane tree. These worms are know as madora in Zimbabwe.
Here is the best recipe to help you prepare the most delicious mopane worms.
- 500 grams dried mopane worms (madora).
- three tomatoes, diced.
- two onions, diced.
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric.
- three fresh green chilies,finely chopped
- three cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- one tablespoon of fresh ginger, finely chopped.
- Soak dried worms in water for 3-4 hours to reconstitute.
- Fry onions in cooking oil on medium heat until translucent.
- Add turmeric, chilies, garlic and ginger.
- Fry for about five minutes.
- Add tomatoes and cook on low for about 20 minutes until spices are well blended.
- Add drained worms and cook until they have softened a bit but still are a little crunchy.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with Sadza.